Sunday, February 05, 2006

Recent holiday to the British Isles, Part 3 - Biscuits and Half-a-Million Cups of Tea

After Heathrow, we briefly stopped by Gillians house (the only time I saw the place on my entire trip), and then went to Ant's (Ant = Gillian's boyfriend) place in Newport Pagnell. I had a cup of tea, and then Gillian and I went over to see Nanna and Gordon.

The place was kind of the same, yet kind of different. There were doorways where there had not been doorways before, porches where there had not been porches, and a whole new kitchen.

We were offered tea and biscuits, and I sleepily worked away on them. Nanna rang my parents (a birthday call), and the phone was passed around. But by this stage I was in such a state of extreme exhaustion that I cannot now remember the phone call. Indeed, the very next day I could not remember what I had talked about with whom.

After getting caught up, we went back to Newport for more tea. I was starving by this stage, but I was at that stage where I was sure that if I ate anything with flavour in it I would promptly be sick, so I nibbled on bread before going to bed.

On the 24th I had breakfast at Nanna's house, and then I tagged along to Gillian's friends house as Christmas visits were carried out. Gillian has very funny friends. There was tea and entertainment.

That evening for dinner, I had steak pie. I had not eaten pie for 1 1/2 years, so it was almost a religious experience for this poor pie-deprived Kiwi.

Gillian wanted me to go with her to a pub to see some of her friends, but I was SO tired. I stayed behind, and managed to stay up until 8.30pm before crashing. I was sure, going to sleep so early, I would be up really early on Christmas morning. But the next thing I knew, Gillian was banging on the door. "Get up! We want to open our presents!"

"What time is it?" said I.

"10.30!"

"I don't believe it!"

I had slept for 14 hours.

Present opening commenced (with tea), and then we went to Ant's Dad's place for a lovely Christmas dinner. I felt bad about going to another family's Christmas dinner, but I was made welcome. I even recieved another Christmas present!

On the 26th we went to see 'The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe' at the theatre in Milton Keynes. It was great! A faithful representation of the book. All of the things that had been added to or subtracted from the story made sense to me. The kid who played Edmund did an exceptionally good job, imho. I can't wait until 'Prince Caspian' come out!

The next day I went up to Cumbria, so I think I will stop here and make it so that -

Next time on Randomness, by Togiren: Tales from the Northern Moors

No comments: