Sunday, March 12, 2006

Graduation

Yesterday was the graduation ceremony for the 3rd grade students of Konoura Jr. High.

Ah! I can't believe they're going! I love those kids. For my first two terms in Konoura, they were my favourite students. Last years 3rd graders were a bit dull, and last years 1st graders (this years 2nd graders) are alternately dull and troublesome. But the 2nd graders were great kids, and continued to be so when they became 3rd graders. I've known them for two years now and have really got to know them. Konoura chuugakkou will not be the same without them. I cried during the ceremony.

Then we had a party, teachers and one parent of each graduating kid all together (unless one parent was on the PTA, then both parents received tickets). Random people kept coming over to talk to me. Sometimes it was easy to see which kid they were the parent of, but usually I could not tell because the kid took after the absent parent, and I couldn't read the name badges either. So I did a lot of talking to people and wondering who they were.

One man imparted several bits of drinking party folklore to me. First bit of folklore: if you put an umeboshi in your sake, the alcohol does not go to your head. Second bit of folklore: if you eat octopus or squid while drinking, it will be easier for your liver to process the alcohol. So, there you go.

Shortly after, I was accosted by some fellow who obviously thinks he is quite a catch. He said a couple of times (in English) "I want to spend my life with you!" before finally conceding he is married. He then, as a consolation, offered to introduce me to his 24-year-old son. Usually, '24-year-old son' is a phrase that catches my attention, but how unfair would that be on the younger son, having his brother set up with his English teacher? Ew, gross; for me too.

The most bizarre thing happened right at the end of the party. A fellow came over and introduced himself. He looked like a rather boring middle-aged man, but a man who had drunk a lot of alcohol recently. He told me which kid was his son (he was the only person to do so that I can remember). This guy was the father of The Poor Misled Boy Who Has A Crush On Catherine Sensei. Drunk man immediately asked me how old I am. I had been drinking too, and had forgotten about politeness. I gave him what I am sure was a very suspicious look and then answered his question in a suspicious voice. Then the man said "Zuibun wakai sensei desu ne. Doki-doki shiteiru" (Such a young teacher. My heart is pounding) and walked off. Eww! Any way I interpret that, it is disturbing!

No comments: