Thursday, February 22, 2007

I believe it is Spring

On Tuesday the weather was absolutely gorgeous. I stood outside in the sunshine and the only very slightly chilly air while waiting for the driver to come and take me to Kamagadai. I had a serious case of deja vu. Last Tuesday and this Tuesday both, the weather was nice and there was a crow trying to crack open a seed by repeatedly dropping it from mid-air onto the road nearby. It was as if I experienced the same morning twice.

But something happened this week that did not happen last week. As I was waiting, a raucous noise started up. It sounded like either birds or a huge troop of monkeys. Has something disturbed the birds in the trees over there? I wondered. No, wait. Are those geese? I started looking around for the source of the noise. Finally I looked up and right above me and the school was a huge V of geese flying north. What a noise they were making! I watched them on their journey until they were out of sight. Once they were too far away for me to see the individual birds they looked like something totally different. They glittered white and wiggled and wriggled about in the sky and looked for all the world like a flying dragon. I wonder if all those legends about dragons started with migrating geese.

I did not have an elementary class at Kamagadai, so I got to go home after lunch. I wanted to buy a train ticket to Kyoto but I can't buy them in Konoura. The next train to Kisakata was not until after four o'clock. If I took it, I would have to wait for two hours in the train station after buying the ticket for the train home. I was not willing to do that. Instead, since it was such a nice day, I left home at 2.40 and walked along the motorway all the way to Kisakata in time to buy the ticket and then catch the 4.15 train home.

No comments: