Thursday, July 20, 2006

With crossed fingers

Today it's sunny. Maybe, just maybe, the rainy season is ending. I hope so, because I've been bad of health over the last week, due mostly to the bad weather I'm sure.

Last Saturday I helped out with a club for small children called the 'Challenge Club.' The challenge in question is English and internationalization. The club meets twice a month, and the small children and their parents study easy English and listen to guest speakers. I was the guest speaker and helped out with teaching English too. I spoke about New Zealand (in Japanese!) showed pictures of New Zealand, and taught the children how to play coin rugby. It was lots of fun, and nice to spend a rainy Saturday morning doing something productive.

On Monday I hung out with Atsuko. First we were going to go to a barbeque at Sumiko's house, but it was raining and the barbeque was cancelled. So we were going to take painting supplies to Sumiko's house and paint pictures, but Sumiko didn't reply to our messages. Atsuko and I ate lunch in Nikaho, went to Daiso to buy canvas, and bought junk food at Max Valu. Eventually Sumiko said that she was busy, so we went back to Atsuko's house.

Atsuko lives in such a big house! It's like a mansion! I couldn't believe it. It was the biggest house I've ever been in that hasn't actually been a country manor converted into a museum or a castle. Atsuko has a whole floor to herself. Although her floor is not as big as the first floor, it is still about three or four times as big as my apartment.

Anyway, we just ate junk food, cooked dinner and hung out. We didn't even get around to painting. That evening I started to feel unwell, and that is how I have been ever since. Damn rainy season. My voice refuses to remain in my throat for extended periods of time. It especially likes to fail me in the middle of doing word pronunciations in English class.

No comments: