Monday, July 10, 2006

Peacock

On Saturday I went to Akita City with Atsuko and her friend Miwa.

First we went to Akita Aeon Plaza, a huge shopping mall. We took puri kura (those little stickers with your picture on them) and then hung out in Starbucks for a while. I bought some muesli at the foreign foods store and some smarter summer clothes to wear to work, and then we went into Akita City proper to dine at Peacock.

Peacock is an Indian restaurant. All the cooks there are Nepalese. Even though they are not Indian, they are considerably better at making curry than Japanese cooks would be. And there was naan bread! I had 'chicken sag' (all names are shortened so that Japanese people do not have to struggle to say them). The chicken was mostly skin which was dissapointing, but the spinach curry itself was delicious, if a little weak. It was the third time since I moved to Japan that I was able to eat a non-Japanese curry.

After Peacock, we headed back to Honjo. We went to Nishime Herb World and picked lavender. I have bunches of it hanging up to dry in my apartment at the moment. After Herb World we went in search of cake. The place we found was putting on a private function, so we ended up eating at Mr. Donuts. By that stage the sun was going down (I want daylight savings!) and we were tired so Miwa went home and Atsuko and I went back to Konoura.

***
As an aside, the whole time I have been writing this post, I have been unsure of the spelling of words I ought to be able to spell. Words I had trouble with: lavender, dissapointing, even apartment! What's with that?! I swear, I am forgetting English.

No comments: