Saturday, May 19, 2007

Too Many Questions

Today was the elementary school sports day. Since the weather is still bad and I am still sick I did not go for long and while there I did not do much, just watched.

Some little four and five year old boys that I teach at the kindergarten found me and pelted me with questions.
"What are you doing here?" All the boys started shouting out (debatably) possible reasons for my presence, not giving me a chance to answer until one boy said "Because it's sports day?" and I said yes.
"Did you come here by plane?"
"No, I walked."
"Even though it's so far?"
I was just about to explain that I had not commuted all the way from New Zealand just to attend the sports day when: "Is your house near here?" another boy asked.
"Yes."
"You have really long hair."

Then the boys got into and started throwing about a box of balls that were going to be used for an event in the afternoon, and I told them off. They ran off a little way and for the next ten minutes decided they would play a 'yank on Catherine-sensei's hair while she isn't looking' game. I kept turning around in my seat and catching a little boy sneaking up behind me who would, as soon as I looked at him, squeal and run off to his friends giggling.

Eventually they stopped. I soon forgot about them and went back to watching the relay races. That was until I felt a yank on my hair. The littlest boy had more patience than his friends and had thereby won the game.

No comments: