Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Long weekend

Just a short post to let you know what I did over the weekend.

On Saturday I performed at a festival in Nakasen, a town that is over an hour and a half away by car. I didn't get home until 7.30pm, and then after a five minute shower and a costume change, I left again. I went with some friends to find a reggae party someone had heard about at a beach near Akita City. We went expecting to find music and alcohol spread out over the nice wide Shimohama beach, but instead the party was in a little room behind the beach. Heaps of people were crammed into the party room like sardines, so instead my friends and I decided to hang out on the beach (still close enough to hear the music), let off fireworks and generally enjoy haning out by the sea on a nice clear summer evening.

We soon got hungry, and decided to head back to honjo to eat. By the time we got there, it was 12pm so our only option for dinner was Gusto. Oh joy. Got home at 3am, rinsed the sand from between my toes and then slept so that I could get up at midday and go to Tsuruoka (Yamagata Prefecture) to see a movie (A Tale of Earthsea, or whatever it is going to become when translated to English), and to buy foreign food such as Tim Tams and muesli from the Yamaya in Sakata City. The movie was not all that good, and certainly did not do Ursula Le Guin's books justice. But I have seen many, many movies that were worse, so it was not a total waste of time. Oh, and I now know what sparrowhawk is in Japanese: haitaka.

On Monday and Tuesday I had holidays. On Monday I performed in a small festival in Konoura. Yesterday I visited my friend at work and then performed at a bigger festival in Konoura. Everyone in the whole town was there, so I spent the whole evening saying "good evening," or "konbanwa" until my voice was hoarse.

Today I have work, or rather I am at school surfing the internet. Tomorrow I will leave for a two day business trip.

Y'know, despite having no work, I am really quite busy.

No comments: