Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Disorientation

(I am writing this at home on Monday afternoon: I won't post it until Tuesday.)

Yesterday I went to the fruit and vege market. I really like going there. I got:
A broccoli for $1
A handful of runner beans (Are they called that in NZ? I'm overthinking and can't figure it out.)
White button mushrooms
A huge brown mushroom
A bunch of rhubarb for $1
A bunch of spinach for $1
An avocado for 80c
A small bunch of fresh Thai basil for $1
And (as a treat) a lotus seed moon pie

I can't remember how much the weighed items cost, but it all came to less than $10.

The basil is sitting in a glass of water on my kitchen windowsill. The rhubarb is boiled up and in a pot in my fridge. I had some on my muesli this morning.

I felt weird today; all fuzzy-like. I couldn't concentrate on the referencing and bibliographies lesson first thing this morning (although, considering the topic and the time, maybe that is not so much of a mystery). After class I was trying to make a production schedule but I couldn't get my brain to work properly. I was getting all confused, and frustrated at myself for being so confused.


When I walked home just a short while ago I still felt odd. I felt a bit disoriented, constantly surprised to find myself walking down the street. I walked past the tattoo shop in Cuba Street and I could hear the buzzing of a needle. The noise followed me long after I was out of earshot. It started to spit with rain, but I didn't take my coat out of my bag. I felt like the rain was not actually hitting me, as if I were in some kind of protective shell. Even when the raindrops increased in size and I could feel them through my sleeve, I still felt like I was inside a shell, but that there were holes in my shell. I meandered into the suprette and bought mayonnaise, then meandered back out again. As I got to my street, the spitting evolved to drizzle and I thought that it would start to clear me of my fuzziness, but still it was not quite enough. So as soon as I got home I made myself a piece of peanut butter toast and a cup of tea (my pick-me-up remedy) and now I feel better.

No comments: