Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Sakura-tinted glasses

Okay, I've just got home, it's midnight, I have things to do before I go to bed and I have to go to the immigration bureau tomorrow, but there is something I have just got to tell you. It was embarrassing at the time, but now I find it awfully funny. It's one of those 'only in Japan' things.

Some background: Recently I have downloaded the first few episodes of the 2006 season of Dr Who*. Since I think the tenth Doctor is a bit of alright, I have a picture of him coming out of the tardis on my desktop.

This evening I had a farewell party with my eikaiwa students. Mid-way through my party I took out my computer to show everyone the pictures I took at Nakajimadai on the weekend. My computer's a bit slow at the moment (it's been a while since I last defragged it) so the people sitting next to me got a good look at David Tennant as my computer booted up. "Handsome man!" they said. Okay, that's not so weird, but then they said "Is he your boyfriend?" "No," I protested. But then some other people started gravitating towards me to see why I had brought my computer out. "Ooh, is that your boyfriend?"
"No, no, it's the Doctor."
"Is that your boyfriend?"
"No, no," I wish "No!"

It's not as if it was a snapshot picture or anything. It was a proper desktop image adapted from a screencap and available on the official Doctor Who webpage. Where else in the world would people look at such a picture and assume it depicted someones boyfriend?

Although I admit I'm awfully flattered that they think I'm a good enough catch to possibly have a boyfriend who looks like that.


*I am totally unapologetic about the fact that I download TV shows from the internet. If I were in an English speaking country right now, I'd get to watch those programmes on TV for free, so what's the bloody difference? Movies, however, are different. I rent them from the video store, because I can and because I would have to in New Zealand too.

No comments: