Monday, March 12, 2007

I'm not a liar

I didn't do much over the weekend. I had been planning on going for a walk, but the weather was very bad so I decided to cancel. Yesterday and today it has been snowy with gale-force winds. It was a battle just getting to the supermarket.

Yesterday I received a phone call from Kobayashi-san, the lady whose house I went to last week and who keeps lending me books whether I want to read them or not. Yesterdays call was a follow-up on a call from several months ago, when she had asked me to return a book that she had never lent me and I had never heard of, and I said that maybe she had lent the book to Tshepo (the Sr. High English teacher who lives in this area) and just thought she had lent it to me. Well, she rang me yesterday and said "This is the first time that a New Zealander has ever lied to me."
"What?" I said.
"You lied to me," she said in a cheery voice. "L. I. E. Lie."
"Ah, I don't remember ever lying to you. What are you talking about?"
"I Talked to Tshepo, and he does not have my book. Can you tell me the book's publisher? I want to know its publisher."
"I don't have your book," I said, starting to feel rather irritated. And hopeless too, because she's obviously not going to believe me until the book turns up in either her house or Tshepo's.

No comments: